The world’s first digital high‑throughput benchtop SPR system.
Surface Plasmon Resonance Powered by Digital Microfluidics.
Alto is the world’s first SPR instrument to integrate digital microfluidics (DMF), artificial intelligence (AI), and nanotechnology to provide high quality, label-free interaction analysis. DMF technology enables all fluidics to be disposable, allowing for precise handling of 2uL sample volumes, crude sample compatibility and zero maintenance.
Alto’s compatibility with automation for both hardware and software provides
sample-in/answer-out data, industry leading throughput, and 24/7 runtime. Every aspect of Alto is designed with user-friendliness and accessibility in mind - from the flexible 16-channel design to the intuitive data analysis platform.
Alto is capable of supporting operation in GXP and 21 CFR Part 11 in compliance with regulatory demands.
- Industry-Leading Data Quality
Minimize noise and dispersion; maximize sensitivity
The fastest rise times at <0.1s
- High-Throughput Powered by Automation and AI
16 channels, intelligent assay design/optimization, automated serial dilutions
Fully compatible with plate & liquid-handling robots
Only 2μL required for full kinetics
Analyze crude samples with ease
Free of high-maintenance fluidic components and obsolete software
Alto is the world’s first SPR instrument to integrate digital microfluidics (DMF), artificial intelligence (AI), and nanotechnology.
DMF technology enables all fluidics to be disposable, allowing for precise handling of 2μL sample volumes, crude sample compatibility and zero maintenance. Alto’s compatibility with automation for both hardware and software provides sample-in/answer-out data, industry leading throughput, and 24/7 runtime.
Every aspect of Alto is designed with user-friendliness and accessibility in mind - from the flexible 16 channel design to the intuitive data analysis platform.
- Kinetics/Affinity Characterization
- Kintetics/Affinity Screening
- Competition Assays
- Yes / No Binding
- Concentration Analysis
- Epitope Mapping/Binning
- Nucleic Acids
- Small Molecules
What is Digital Microfluidics?
DMF is a liquid-handling technology capable of accurately controlling and manipulating discrete nanodroplets with electricity on a standard microwell plate.
DMF fluidic handling technology removes the need for any physical pumps, valves, or tubes and replaces them with a low cost disposable cartridge, providing higher data quality and less hands-on time.
How does SPR work with DMF?
We’ve integrated our proprietary localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) sensors into DMF cartridges – creating 16 independently addressable channels on a single cartridge.
Advantages of using DMF-powered SPR
- Decoupling of flow rate and sensor position from dispersion, increasing data quality
- 500X less sample volume required— get full kinetics from a 2μL sample volume
- Decoupling of interaction time from sample volume, increasing assay flexibility
- Automated serial dilutions—reducing human error and saving time
Alto Cartridges have completely revolutionized the interaction of fluidics and sensors for SPR.
A Cartridge is a well-plate sized consumable that integrates reagent/sample storage, fluid handling, and sensor surfaces. Samples, buffers and reagents are contained in wells on the cartridge, and dispensed towards the sensor in software-controlled nanodroplets.
Precise volumes and automated serially diluted concentrations interface with a fiber optic sensor tip, manufactured with the same quality and consistency (<2% CV) as our existing localized SPR sensors.
- Carboxyl for any amine group using EDC/NHS coupling
- NTA for histidine tagged targets
- Streptavidin for biotin tagged targets
- Biotin for streptavidin coupled targets
- GST for GST tagged targets
- Protein A for IgG based antibodies
- Amine for any carboxyl group using EDC/NHS coupling
- Liposome Binding (LIP) for liposomes/membrane proteins
- Hydrophobic (MEM) for lipid monolayer
- Thiol for thiol or maleimide tagged targets
- Gold for non-functionalized and for custom surface chemistry development and targets with thiol groups
Alto Software Suite
Alto features an end-to-end software suite that is powered by AI, built directly into the instrument, and leverages the power of the cloud. Flexible and intelligent assay design and optimization enables efficient planning of experiments. Serial dilutions are fully automated and controlled by software, reducing hands-on time and human error. With cloud connectivity, real-time data and wizards will clearly communicate experiment progress and can be accessed by any licensed device connected to the internet.
- Intuitive and easy-to-operate built in PC with customizability based on level of SPR experience
- Guided setup, quality control and shutdown procedures
- Software Wizards to guide experiment set-up, optimization and quality control
- Full test automation with the ability to create, save and load test templates
- Real-time 16-channel data of binding interactions featuring error warnings & experiment suggestions
- Seamless and flexible transition of real-time data into data analysis software
- Multiple instruments can be networked together and controlled easily from 1 interface
SupplierNicoya Lifesciences Inc.
show all products
|Association rate (kon)||
|Dissociation Rate (koff)||
1e-6 to 1.0 (1/s)
|Affinity Range (KD)||
1e-12 to 1e-4 (M)
Compatible with robots for 24/7 runtime
GXP and 21 CFR Part 11*
*Alto is capable of supporting operation in GXP and 21 CFR Part 11 in compliance with regulatory demands.
|# Optical Channels||
16 independently addressable
|Reference : Standard||
1:1 standard, any combination possible
Up to 16
Up to 64 Analytes/Cartridge
Automated Serial Dilutions
|Hands on Time||
8°C–50°C in sensor area
8°C in sample storage area
35W x 50.5D x 40.4H (cm)